- Established clear, consistent and simple limits.
- Reinforcing appropriate behavior
- Offer straightforward explanations for limits.
- Ignore minor incidents.
- State limits in positive way, rather than a negative way.
- Provide choices.
- Focused on the behavior rather than on the child.
Discipline is something that the adults do with, and for children; rather than tostop them from behaving in undesirable ways. Its intention is to help children become self-disciplined as they learn appropriate and acceptable behavior patterns. Discipline involves a continuous process of guiding behavior and is offered while appropriate behavior is occurring, as well as before, during and after inappropriate behavior is displayed.
- Problem solving.
- Reminder of rules
- Acknowledging choices
- Use natural and logical consequences
- Using proximity and touch.